Configuring SASL for KVIrc
If you have already added freenode as a network, open your servers window, select the freenode server, and skip to step five.
- Click Settings, and the Configure Servers
- Anywhere in the Servers window that appears, right click and select New network
- Enter a name (perhaps freenode)
- Right click on the network you just added, and click New Server
- Enter chat.freenode.net as the server name, and then click Advanced
- In the Connection tab, enter 6697 for the port, then check the "Use SSL Protocol" checkbox
- Select the Advanced tab, Enable the "Query extended capabilities on connect" option, as well as the Authenticate via SASL extension. In the SASL nickname field, enter your freenode account name. In the SASL password field, enter your NickServ password
- Click OK, until you have returned to the Servers window, and then click the Connect Now button
If everything was configured correctly, you should see a
SASL authentication successful message when you connect. You will already be identified, so you don't need to do this again.